Tuesday 3 July 2018

I MURDERED MY SON



photo credit: google photos

I MURDERED MY SON
My name is kwesi, a well-respected medical doctor with all the good accolades you can confer on my profession. Married to a very beautiful and smart woman, Ama also a lawyer by profession.  I wouldn’t say our marriage has always been flowery, we have had our ups and downs and we enjoyed every bit of it.

God blessed us with 3 cute children, 2 boys one girl. Kwadwo is an electrical engineer, kwabena a banker and Adwoa followed my steps to hospital wards and theatres for surgery. I should be proud of myself I guess.

All  this while I thought I needed a Nobel prize for being the best father to my kids , but Adwoa proved me wrong when she shared a secret with me.

Kwabena my second child seemed like the odd one amongst my children. Kwadwo and Ama were  quite smart, kwabena too but his report cards always got us doubting.

I thought as a father, and  with such respect in society there was no way my children shouldn’t succeed. So I tried my maximum best to give them the required training.

I remember one night with my children where I screamed at kwabena for showing me a drawing. He was startled and surprised because he had never seen that side of his dad. That wasn’t the first time he was showing me a drawing though, but I was tired of seeing them.

 Kwadwo and Ama were having the records in school. It made me very proud as a father. Kwabena was not winning awards but he was good.

Spoke to Ama about kwabena to watch him with extra care, thinking we were doing him the parental good. We forced books on him, gave him to various teachers to be thought and at last he brought smiles to our faces.

Kwabena had now stopped drawing, writing poems and those things he loved so much. He went through the various levels of education and with our advice ventured into administration. This field of study landed him his current job as a banker.

I never knew I had so much effect on kwabena that the least action I took on him had a long term effect on his life. He is grown now, rich from his own labour and married to a pretty nurse Akua. 

Little did I know kwabena all this while hated himself for what he has become. This was seen in how he treated co-workers, his own children and sometimes his wife.

My son was a true artist, one whose work you will surely love and admire. I shattered those dreams with just a shout in a night and those memories never left kwabena. He now lives a life full of vinegar, bitter to taste. Never happy and satisfied with his achievement at work because he never had the courage to put himself out there.

I saw kwabena reject a lot of leadership roles in life even up until now because his confidence level still remains 0.

Yes kwabena is alive but to him he died at age 6, and I blame myself for his murder. I knew I wanted my kids to succeed ,I knew I had to provide for them but I never meant to murder kwabena. 

My excuse has always been the scripture Proverbs 22:6 show the child the way he should go and he/she will not depart from it.

I guess I misunderstood “the” for “my”. And just that level of misunderstanding saw me burry my kwabena at age 6. 

Am sorry son please find it in your heart to forgive me. 

Let this squabble end with just us. The children have their own lives to lives. Again it’s the way, not a way, or my way, or your way. 

The article THE is a definite one, meaning very specific, so only help them locate THE way and you won’t have to write this long essays like am doing.

Parents and potential parents, the influence we have on our children is GOD given, we can either use if for good or otherwise. It will be in our own interest to know that we will surely account for the lives of our children. 

Mind you, they are gifts from GOD and GOD does not give irrelevant gifts. Gifts are always for equipping just as how Ephesians 4:11-16 puts it.  Once again let’s help them locate THE way.

 Thank you and stay blessed.

                                                                                                                                     Your murder,
                                                                                                                                         DAD                           

No comments: